9. One study done on having parents improve their feeding of their young children found that focusing on a habit-based training program had a significant increase in the amount of vegetables, healthy snacks, and water compared to the control group.
15. Don’t set up habits around certain times of the day (random times you set up to create habits); instead, base them around events (waking up, going to sleep, arriving at work, arriving at home, eating a meal, etc.)
21. Our inner, self image more accurately predicts our future behavior (or bad habits/relapsing) more than anything else, like this study mentioned on Anorexics that had an extremely high relapse rate after treatment, and were unnaturally resistant to improving.
22. Habits accurately predict most of our positive and negative behaviors – even things we think are conscious, like how much alcohol we drink when we sit down to eat.
27. Here’s a way to think about linking your habits together (using contextual clues). Washing your hands after using the toilet; flossing after brushing your teeth; or putting on your seatbelt after turning on the car. What habits can you pair up?
32. Once you do a habit enough times, it becomes easier to stick with and almost “feels weird” if you don’t do it – this is the automaticity level I’ve talked about before, and how (almost 10 years later), I go to the gym at the same time almost every day, and it’s effortless.
34. New studies are showing that habit formation generally takes around 66 days, not the 21 days that many self help authors talk about. What do the 66 days even mean? It’s the amount of time it takes for the habits to be heavily automatic, requiring a lot less physical thinking and conscious control.
35. Even if we have strong intentions to actually do a behavior (like go to the gym, hehe), what predicts whether or not we’ll actually do it isn’t the intention, but our actual habits.
Images: Used with permission from freedigitalphotos.net
Have You Read My New Book Yet?
Read more about this in my book Master The Day. You’ll learn the nine daily success habits I learned interviewing people that lost 100+ pounds and kept it off in a healthy way – by changing their habits. Plus, you’ll get a free $100 video course if you show me your receipt.