I had a client that said she was doomed because she was close to getting a diabetes diagnosis, thinking that it was like cancer or some kind of plague you couldn’t rid yourself of.
“Well, I guess this is the beginning of the end” she said to me.
Fortunately, that’s not true – at all!
Diabetes is pretty easy to manage – and in some cases reverse – by changing just a few simple habits.
Check ‘em out below.
Yes, Diabetes Can be Managed, Reversed and Prevented With 3 Things
Here’s What The Researchers Found
So check this out, in one study, over 1,000 people were taken for an intensive lifestyle overhaul involving not-so-secret methods of getting healthier.
In the study, participants did a few things:
1. They met with a case manager. Every few weeks, the participant met with a case manager that basically served as a light form of accountability: “Did you do the stuff we talked about?”
No special secret here, just a bit of accountability.
2. Brisk walking – no tough workouts. Specifically, participants in this study were told to just aim for 150 minutes a week – which would average out to about 20 minutes per day. No strength workouts were allowed more than 75 minutes/week towards this goal. So JUST walking.
3. Some dietary changes, including low fat (which I disagree with, in this case it probably meant avoiding harmful fat from crappy sources like inflammatory oils and processed meat sources).
And just by changing these three small things – a check-in, brisk walking, and removing some of the bad fats on a slightly lower calorie diet – there was a huge 58% reduction in diabetes risk.
Booyaaaaaa… bring on the oreos.
Here were the results: as you can see, BMI regardless of race, age or sex decreased in every single group.
Your “Reverse Diabetes Naturally” Takeaways
1. Yes diabetes can be reversed or at least managed EXTREMELY well through changing habits.
2. Whatever your health diagnosis – don’t immediately give up and assume it’s a death sentence.
I’m not a doctor, but there’s lots medicine doesn’t know yet. For example, five years ago I was diagnosed with IBS – something that apparently doesn’t have a cure whatsoever.
I started off seeing my normal doc who recommended a nutritionist.
After no luck with the nutritionist, I saw a G.I. specialist.
After no luck with him, I saw a slew of naturopaths, Chinese medicine doctors, and more.
These days, I’m 90% fixed – and day to day I don’t really have any major issues. This is apparently a condition with “no cure or fix” – which clearly isn’t true.
My point is simple: regardless of what your doctor’s diagnosis is, don’t let that be some kind of death sentence and a damper on your life. Don’t give it a reason to let life suck and fall into the habit of helplessness – continue to experiment and see what works for you.
Ultimately, for me the fix was Chinese medicine and sticking to the guidelines I wrote about here on a low fiber diet.
Your Tiny Habit For Today
So today’s tiny habit is what I call the “golden trifecta:”
Pick one exercise habit, one nutritional habit, one accountability habit – and do them every day.
The reason why this is so powerful is that this can literally take 10 minutes, and there virtually isn’t anyone on the planet who can honestly say they don’t have 10 minutes.
So for example, it could be as simple as the following:
Exercise habit: Walk 5 minutes before work (Time: 5 minutes).
Nutritional habit: Green juice first thing in the morning (Time: 2 minutes).
Accountability habit: Journal 5 minutes at night about your progress today (Time: 5 minutes).
Total time: 12 minutes.
And I’ve personally seen habits even smaller than these (we’re talking about doing one minute of something, c’mon people) produce incredible life changes.
It’s the power of the compound effect – life’s best kept secret to the health, body and life we want.
Little things, done daily, over time.
Have Diabetes? Have You Reversed It? Share Below
Diabetes goal success: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15483207″>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15483207